Founded by Dr. Ramon Gonzalez in 2003, The Lab School is an internationally recognized public school serving sixth through twelfth grade students in the South Bronx (Mott Haven).
- In Mott Haven, one in ten students is homeless and 54% graduate high school in four years and, before 2003, the school was one of the most dangerous in NYC.
- 96% of Lab School Students live below the poverty line and 99% are Black and Latino.
- Despite these challenges, the students are ranked 74th percentile city-wide.
In 2010, Ignite Learning was founded. Students have made dramatic academic and social gains during that time, and The Lab School continued to rise to a top performing school.
- Yearly, Ignite provides 500 extra hours of academic and extracarricular time.
- Ignites year-round programming (i.e. Summer Bridge Program, extended day) is diverse and focuses on closing the experience gap.